Acai Bowl Obsession
My passion for healthy eating knows no bounds and as always I’m on the lookout for the next healthy treat. So today I am going to tell you about the tropical goodness that is Acai (ah-sigh-ee) bowl and its amazing health benefits. Acai is a small, round, purplish berry from the acai palm. Acai palms are native to Brazil and the upper parts of South America, as well as Trinidad.
The Acai berries are dark purple in color which is an indicator for its richness with polyphenols and anthocyanins and also overflowing with antioxidants. In fact, acai is so enriched with anthocyanins that it is considered as a superfood.
The berries are also loaded with vitamin A, C, calcium, and fiber. Not to mention, if you have never had an acai bowl you are in for a sweet treat.
Now let’s talk about the few of the surprising benefits of these magical berries:
- The Acai berries are a known aphrodisiac with packed loads of compounds which boosts overall energy (including sexual functions). It also intensifies circulation in the body which increases libido.
- The antioxidant anthocyanin, which is plentiful in acai berries, may decrease oxidative stress and inflammation, promoting brain health and memory functions.
- The high levels of antioxidants and ferulic acid (anti-aging) in these berries may slow down or even reverse the effects of stress on the skin. They also give our skin a healthy glow and keeps it hydrated.
- Studies have shown using a variety of cancer cells that anthocyanins prevent cancer cell proliferation, inhibit some of the beginning of the formation of tumors and prevent cancer cell invasion
- Acai is loaded with polyphenols, antioxidants that are heart healthy. It can decrease cholesterol and helps in regulating and relaxing blood vessels.
- Weight loss is another great benefit of consuming these berries. It helps flush out unwanted toxins in the body and boosts metabolism.
- A good nights sleep is another big benefit of consuming acai berries. By improving circulation it helps you to sleep like a baby.
These are just a few of the many benefits of consuming acai berries. However, consuming them in moderation is the key as the berries are loaded with sugar. There are several recipes available online for mix fruit bowls that can be made with Acai berries. With that being said, I hope you will incorporate these magical berries in your diet and start living a healthier life.